By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Second pleads to kidnappings
Third suspect in case goes to trial Monday in Statesboro
Nelson
Cecil Nelson

A Pembroke man pleaded guilty Thursday to his role in two separate kidnappings of two Bryan County residents.
According to First Assistant U.S. Attorney James Durham, Cecil Dewitt Nelson, 32, pleaded guilty to conspiring with others to commit kidnappings before Senior U.S. District Court Judge B. Avant Edenfield in Statesboro. Nelson faces a maximum sentence of life in prison and a $250,000 fine.
Nelson’s guilty plea comes after Gary McDonald, 36, of Statesboro also pleaded guilty in July to conspiring with others to commit kidnappings.
The remaining defendant, Antonio Murray, 38, will go to trial next week. Durham said jury selection for the trial began Friday and opening statements will begin Monday.
All three men remain in custody. Durham said a sentencing date for Nelson and McDonald has not been scheduled because court will wait on a probation officer to give a presentence report.
The trio in January was charged with kidnapping two Bryan County residents, identified in court documents as “T.M.” and “W.D.,” and holding them for ransom.
According to evidence presented during the guilty plea and in an indictment in March, the three men were involved in two separate kidnappings.
The first incident occurred Dec. 1, 2011, when the men forcibly entered the Richmond Hill home of T.M. and abducted him at gunpoint, only to release him after a ransom of $19,000 was paid.
The second incident occurred on Jan. 12, when the men forcibly entered the home of Pembroke resident W.D. and abducted him at gunpoint, only to release him after ordering his wife to pay $250,000 in ransom.
Assistant United States Attorneys Brian T. Rafferty and Carlton R. Bourne Jr. are prosecuting the case on behalf of the United States.

Sign up for our E-Newsletters
Final missing soldier found
Final missing soldier found
bulldozer moves gravel to pave a roadway within the area following the recovery of a U.S. Army M88 Hercules recovery vehicle that had been submerged under several meters of water in a swamp near a training area in Pabradė, Lithuania.
The fourth U.S. Army soldier assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division was found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania the afternoon of April 1. The soldier’s identity is being withheld pending confirmation of notification of next of kin.
Would you like to keep reading?
You have 1 free view remaining. Use your last view to read more.
Latest Obituaries